Monday, April 27, 2009

Arlington National Cemetery



So I arrived in DC just after lunch, got my rental car, and headed immediately to Arlington National Cemetery. What a perfectly gorgeous spring day. Bright and sunny, and all the trees and flowers are in full bloom. I spent the entire afternoon at the Arlington National Cemetery, walking the grounds and taking it all in. I saw the tombs of the unknown soldiers and the changing of the guard, JFK's grave, Lee's house, the Iwo Jima Memorial, and more. I learned the history of the property and all sorts of neat bits of trivia.

I can't tell you how much pleasure I get from days like this. Traveling someplace new, then just strolling around. No real agenda, no pressing deadline, and no one either holding me back or rushing me through. I absolutely need this every so often.

The DC area is a particularly perfect place for this as it turns out, for whatever reason. I spent some time today pondering that among much else. I just feel very comfortable here. I also feel tremendous reverence for this place.

As I mentioned, I witnessed the changing of the guard at the tombs of the unknowns. There was a decent group of tourists gathered. Many were fat, wearing flip flops and beer t-shirts. Typical American tourists. They were sprawled across the steps waiting with cameras in hand. I stood. Way in the back at the top of the stairs. All the monuments and various places in DC have a sense about them that commands respect. For those who can't sense it or choose to ignore it, there are literal signs everywhere telling you do not smoke, do not eat, turn off your cell phone, speak softly or stay silent, and conduct yourself in a dignified and respectful manner. Each time I visit these places I speak not a word, turn off my cell phone, and always dress well. It seems the natural thing to do. But some don't get it until it bites them on the ass. Today I saw it bite them on the ass.

When the Marines came to change the guard, one of them turned and marched right up to the tourists lounging on the steps like beached whales and yelled, in an incredibly intimidating Marine voice, "VISITORS WILL STAND AND REMAIN SILENT!" That's all he had to say. You could FEEL his words. You've never seen tourists stand at attention so quickly.

The changing went off without a hitch and with nary a peep from the crowd. Afterward two of the Marines left and only the new guard remained. A large group of school kids started clowning around and the parents and teachers suddenly took on the demeanor of a group on a stroll at the zoo. The Marine on guard immediately whipped around and yelled with a thunderous roar, "VISITORS! YOU WILL MAINTAIN AN ATMOSPHERE OF SILENCE AND RESPECT!"

Dead silence. Children and adults alike froze in their tracks. It was amazing. The Marine whipped back around and continued his silent vigil. The entire group vaporized in less than a minute. I stood there on the steps, just me, silent and unmoving. The birds were chirping. Flower blossoms and the scents of spring were floating on the breeze. And below me were the tombs and the vigilant Marine whose presence was overwhelming. I stayed for a long while just watching and thinking. I felt a stirring deep inside.

What was it that moved me? What was I thinking about, really? Liberals tend to scoff at things like patriotism and the military, and conservatives tend to idolize them. It's one of the big points of contention between the two groups. I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't believe in blind patriotism, but I do have strong emotions when it comes to having national pride and great respect for our military personnel and traditions.

I really have a lot of thoughts on the matter but this is one topic I have a great deal of trouble putting into words. Maybe some things are best left unsaid. I'm also exhausted from getting up at 4:40AM to catch my flight so I think I'll just call it a night.

Oh, one more thing. I did swing by Mount Vernon but the grounds were closed by the time I got there. What I did see was absolutely gorgeous. So I settled for dinner at The Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. The building was really neat. The food was okay, but that was made up for by my really cute server, all dressed up in colonial era tights.

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: