Thursday, June 10, 2010

FB


Facebook is dead to me. It was really cool reacquainting with old classmates and others from my distant past, but now that the new has worn off and we've all had our OMG-I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT'S-YOU moments with each other, my news feed has mostly been reduced news flashes about baby poop, 3rd grade baseball games, shameless solicitations, and way, WAY too much crap about Jesus. I've learned a valuable lesson in all this: if you aren't still in my life today, there's probably a very good reason.

The past week has been warm - about fifteen degrees above average. We've had temps in the 90's. Boulder Creek normally runs at 100-300 CFS (cubic feet per second), but this week it was overflowing its banks at almost 1,000 CFS! The heat caused rapid snowmelt in the mountains. A bridge collapsed just up the canyon from Boulder, creating an unstable dam which collected water and threatened to send a wall of water rushing toward town. Fortunately it was cleared and all is well. A cool front has since come through and water levels are dropping a little as the melt slows. Saturday the high is only going to be in the low 50's. Nice!

That's all for now. I'm hoping to finish reading A Walk Across America before the weekend comes to a close. I'm halfway through it. It's a story of a guy who, in 1974, decided to walk down the East Coast, through the South, and on to the Gulf of Mexico instead of getting a job after he finished college. Just him and his dog. Pretty amazing, the things he experienced. Makes one think. I'll probably comment more when I finish.

G'night!

No comments: