Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Queen of the Mountain

Today mom proved what I'd been suspecting for awhile. When she's with my step-dad, she's a dainty, wilting flower who can't do anything but shop. When she's alone with me, she's a strong woman up for a real adventure. It's the weirdest thing.

Step-dad has been sick pretty much since they got here, so today me and mom hit the trail without him. She'd been saying she wanted to see snow before she left so I suggested snowshoeing up at Bear Lake. She always gets giddy in the snow. I figured it would be a stroll around the lake, at most, before scurrying back to the warmth of the truck. But no, we walked across the frozen lake not once but twice just because it thrilled her to walk on a frozen lake. She was throwing snowballs, falling and crawling in the deep snow, and then wanted to go UP the mountain! That blew me away. Of course she got winded not being used to the altitude and not having a lot of cardio conditioning, but I was proud of her. She said she wanted to buy some warmer boots and try real snowshoeing up the mountain next time she was visited. She was like a totally different person. I even pointed that out to her. I asked why, when she's around step-dad, she acts like a silly airhead who can't do a thing for herself and gets a chill with the slightest breeze, but when she's with me she wants to climb a snow-covered mountain in 30 mph winds. The answer was complicated and kinda cute actually, but seeing her out there being active and strong really filled me with joy. I love you mom.

3 comments:

Michelle E. said...

That's so awesome, Billy Joe. :-) Way to go, Shelia!!!!!!!

Sandy said...

the last time that i was in colorado we went to bear lake for a picnic...but it snowed...in july! so we ended up having our picnic in the car, in the parking lot. i still have not seen that lake =o)

Billy Joe said...

That's too bad Sandy. It's gorgeous! The lake is literally just yards from the parking lot. Next time you come up bring a jacket (even in summer) and make sure to walk the trail around the lake. It's one of the easiest, prettiest hikes you'll ever take.