Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hot Biscuits!

Tonight I nearly perfected my homemade biscuits. The outside is buttery and crisp, the inside soft and fluffy. They are truly outstanding.

How, you ask, did I do this? I stopped using baking powder for something better. Baking powder is only added to baked goods to make them rise. It does this because baking powder contains acid salts that react with the food to create carbon dioxide. I was never comfortable with adding something to my food just to make it rise and which contained no other nutrition whatever. It's like adding artificial food coloring. Really, is it worth the trade off?

So tonight I tried an experiment. I have two quarts of plain raw milk yogurt which I made this week, and the whey it contains is slightly acid. Using the yogurt instead of the baking powder as my acid made a world of difference. It's like a whole new recipe! I'm full from dinner and my mouth is still watering for these things.

1 comment:

Karma Engine said...

Wow.. you are making me hungry with all these food posts... lol. I can't wait to try out some of your masterpieces when I come up for the holidays.. whee!