Saturday, June 13, 2009

Strawberries


Wow! Strawberries have burst into season and this is, by far, the best year I've seen for them in Colorado. It's the first sweet treat of the market! I've already eaten a few pounds of them since Wednesday. They remind me of the ones I used to grow in Texas as a kid in the whiskey barrels in the back yard. They're only a fraction of the size of those giant ones you get at the supermarket, but the sweetness and intense strawberry flavor of these little gems is unrivaled. It's particularly nice this year because strawberries and rhubarb are in season at the same time, just enough overlap to make strawberry-rhubarb pie. My own strawberry plants I put in the garden last year are producing and I've picked my first two strawberries this week.

I'll tell ya, the best early summer breakfast is a bowl full of these sweet little strawberries dribbled with farm-fresh cream. Heaven. Pure heaven.

No comments: