Monday, June 29, 2009

Two Timing

What a fantastic week I had in Austin. Though I thoroughly enjoyed soaking up that 106 degree Texas heat (especially while splashing in Barton Springs), I can't say I was the least bit disappointed when I stepped out of my truck tonight into 68 degree mountain air.

I'm tempted to recount every excruciating detail of my trip but I'll spare you. Suffice it to say I did a lot of swimming, kayaking, barbecue eating, beer drinking and reminiscing with friends, among much else. I didn't want the week to end. As I watched Austin get smaller in my rearview mirror I felt a little sad. So much of me lives in that city, and in Texas in general. Yet moving back isn't something I want to do, at least not at this point in my life. The long drive out of the state was ushered along by my iPod with Texas songs in heavy rotation. Of course there was a lot of contemplation as well, but I think I'm too tired to get into that tonight.

I didn't feel sadness again until I left my usual rest and refueling stops in Dalhart, about 40 miles from the New Mexico border. Texas. I love her. But my sadness, I must say, was completely wiped away an hour later when the Rocky Mountains came into view. I suddenly felt, well, at home! It was really odd because I almost felt a sense of relief, like I was slipping back into my comfort zone. It was like being embraced by strong, familiar arms when I was in need of a little comforting. This was the first time I'd really felt strong emotions for both states at practically the same moment. I guess it's official. I have two loves in my life. Texas is my wild and carefree lover, great for a crazy night but not really the one I can settle down with. Colorado, on the other hand, is the one I snuggle up to when party ends. I think this realization is going to allow me enjoy both gals a whole lot more from this point on. After all, they don't seem to mind sharing.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Michelle Elliott said...

Let's see that beautiful new cowboy hat you bought!!