Sunday, September 27, 2009

Great Balls of FIre!

What a perfectly gorgeous Autumn day.

We'd planned to have a couple of friends over for dinner tonight. They'd never had Rocky Mountain oysters and were really curious to try them. One half of the couple is from Britain, so that's understandable. But the other half is from Wyoming, and that's just inexcusable. ;0)

A couple of hours before they were supposed to arrive, a couple of friends from Texas showed up on the doorstep completely unannounced. One of the guys had actually moved from Austin to Denver two months ago on a whim, and the other guy was here visiting the first guy. They decided to swing by Boulder, so our dinner count unexpectedly jumped by 50%. Fortunately I had thawed three bisons' worth of oysters, just in case. (You never know when weary travelers may show up for dinner!) I'd also procured more than enough beer, and at the farmer's market this morning something told me to buy 6 large poblano peppers (instead of just 4) and a larger than usual block of goat cheese. Gerard roasted and stuffed the poblanos with goat cheese and spiced bison meat while I skinned and batter-fried the oysters, and everyone had a great time.

Sometimes everything just works out perfectly: beer and buffalo testicles for all!

2 comments:

Michelle Elliott said...

Billy Joe - I honestly don't know if I could EVER bring myself to chomp down on a big ol' bison ball! ;-) I'm usually very open minded too.. I mean, I've tried escargot and liked them and I absolutely LOVE mussels! How did your friends like them? I am imagining in my mind what you wrote about "skinning" them and battering them.... I almost cringe at the thought.. Lol.. I mean, I am imagining veins and everything.. Please don't bring me any of those for a Christmas "treat." LMAO. ;-)

Billy Joe said...

You don't have to imagine what they look like. I posted pictures from a previous night. Check it out!
http://blogoftherockies.blogspot.com/2008/10/taste-of-rockies.html