Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sleepless in Boulder

It's shaping up to be one of those sleepless nights. It's a little warm tonight - 72 degrees at the moment - and I think that has something to do with it.

Probably a bigger part is that my brain works hard all day at work and my body gets nothing out of the deal but sitting nearly motionless. I come home mentally exhausted but physically pent-up. I'm working from home the rest of the week. I'll use the two hours a day I'm saving in commute time to get in some morning hikes. I'm also going to do some work in the kitchen "on the side." I have some pork and bison fat that needs rendering into lard and tallow.

Today was my last day in the old office building. Our new building - the LEEDS Platinum certified Research Support Facility - is all ready for us to move in Monday morning. Movers are transferring all of our computers and other stuff over the weekend. It was a tiny bit sad, though the move can be nothing but good. The new building is pretty awesome by any standard, and I'll finally be on the main campus. I also found out today that one of our best GIS programmers, his obnoxious personality not withstanding, is leaving NREL. I was shocked. Can't say I was sad about it. Was an interesting day.

I wish I was fly fishing.

No comments: