Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Weekend


More perfect autumn weather I could not ask for. Seriously, this is amazing. Even people who have been here for decades are saying they cannot recall a more perfect fall. Day after day of sunshine, crisp air and fall foliage.

This weekend we picked up our new bedroom furniture and took the opportunity to do a little fall cleaning. We donated a box of clothing, scrubbed floors and beat the rugs. I really love the way the house feels right after a good cleaning. Plus we've got it all decked out in fall decor using almost nothing but local, natural materials. I've got a big centerpiece on the dining room table made of colorful squashes, indian corn and cut grain stalks. I've got the mantlepiece and the living room decked out much the same way, but with some beautiful lighted jack-o-lantern gourds thrown in the mix. We also collected and dried fallen leaves which made an excellent addition to the whole thing. After digging out my old Halloween stuff last month, I found myself turned off by bright orange plastic. There is so much natural beauty this time of year, and it was that natural beauty that inspired all those orange plastic substitutes. So this year I went back to the source. That was yesterday.

Today we took things a little easier. We collected about 50 pounds of walnuts from the tree by the garden, though we haven't started processing them yet. Tonight for dinner I made cast iron skillet bison meatloaf with gravy, roasted brussels sprouts and mashed purple potatoes. I followed that by making the first apple pie of the season! Hot apple pie on a chilly Sunday night. What a perfect way to end the weekend. I am so grateful for my life.

1 comment:

Karma Engine said...

I thought that little leaf on top of the pie was just too cute. The whole thing looks delicious!