Friday, February 26, 2010

Homesick Blues

Today is Go Texan day. I never appreciated it until I moved from Texas.

Sometimes I get a little homesick and today is one of those days. It's gorgeous and sunny, and I wore short sleeves for the first time since last summer, though it's still only in the 40's outside and there's plenty of snow on the ground. Maybe I'm just missing the Texas heat.

I'd like to just hop in my F350 right now and drive to Austin. Take a walk around Town Lake. Have a beer at The Ginger Man. Get nekkid at Hippie Hollow. See McKinney Falls. Hug a few friends.

Then you know what I'd do? I'd hop in my truck and head west again. I'd like to lose myself at Big Bend for a week. I'd like to sleep under the stars next to a giant saguaro in Arizona. I want to wake up with the sun on the edge of the Canyonlands in Utah, with no sign of another human being. I just want to wander and roam. That sounds good. That sounds real good.

No comments: