Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring!


Nearly every day this week was in the 50's, the first "warm" streak since last fall. Over the next five days it may not even dip below freezing at night. Woohoo! This morning while walking to the gym I noticed spring flowers in someone's garden! Yes, the good 'ol crocus, always first to push through the frozen soil in early spring, has graced us once again with its lovely yellow, white and purple flowers here in Boulder. More trees are starting to bud. Soon daffodils and tulips and green leaves will be everywhere, and I'm going to cry like a baby if a late winter storm throws a wrench in the works again this year.

I was just reading about the kickoff to the Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo in Austin. It's going to be eighty degrees in Austin next week. EIGHTY! That's like summer here! I'm really getting homesick thinking about all those Texans in their cowboy hats and trucks and short sleeves enjoying the rodeo while we're just barely starting to thaw out up here. There's still piles of snow taller than me outside.

But then again, we do have mountains. And wilderness unlike anything in Texas. When it's mid-August and Austinites are oppressed by scorching sun and 110 degree heat mixed with 90% humidity and smog, I'll be under a crisp blue sky enjoying 87 degrees and almost no humidity.

Who am I kidding. I love that Texas heat! I guess I just love it all: Colorado or Texas. Frigid snowstorms or scorching heat waves. Icy whitewater streams or tepid lazy rivers. Stuck-up vegan do-gooders or ass-backward conservative ignoramuses.

Wait, scratch that last set.

UPDATE: I just checked the weather. It's going to freeze every night and another snow is expected this weekend. Dammit!

Would it be extravagant if I flew to Austin next weekend, bought an F350 and drove it out to the rodeo?

1 comment:

Michelle Elliott said...

Uhh, yeah, that would be a little extravagant!! ;-)