Monday, April 19, 2010

Good Day at Work


I had an unusually good Monday, considering I was working at a computer instead of fly fishing, hiking, camping, gardening or hunting.

More amazing still, it was a good day despite conducting interviews for a new hire.

Why was it such a good day? I solved a problem that on Friday I had no idea how I was going to solve. I've got temperature at depth data for the US - that is the temperature below the ground in 1 kilometer intervals all the way down to 10 km. I had a list of several thousand oil wells and the depth to the bottom of the wells. I needed to figure out the temperature at the bottom of the wells. With a little linear interpolation and some Python scripting, I made it happen. I was quite proud of myself and my client was ecstatic. Not that I'd put this on my top ten list of favorite things to do on a gorgeous spring day, but it pays the bills and it always feels good to accomplish a complex task.


1 comment:

michelle Elliott said...

Say what?!?? ;-)