Monday, April 26, 2010

Ramblin' Fever


My hat don't hang on the same nail too long
My ears can't stand to hear the same old song
An' I don't leave the highway long enough,
To bog down in the mud
'Cos I've got ramblin' fever in my blood

And I don't let nobody tie me down,
And I'll never get too old to get around
I wanna die along the highway and rot away,
Like some old high-line pole,
And rest this ramblin' fever in my soul

-Merle Haggard

I drove my truck to work today. Sometimes I do that just to get a little thrill at both ends of the day. There's a nice 20 mile stretch of open road I take to work, and for a few minutes I can pretend like I'm out roaming some remote corner of the west. I'm planning a road trip to Texas this summer. I'm planning to take a week and see some old friends. Some I haven't seen since high school. I'm planning to hit my favorite swimming holes, watering holes and hole-in-the-walls along the way.

Sometimes there just aren't enough miles of pavement.

No comments: