Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bouldery Thoughts

Why can't I sleep anymore? I'm normally zonked by 9:30 or 10, and lately I'm doing good if I'm asleep by 2AM.

I'm not worried about anything. To the contrary, life is better than it ever has been. I think that's actually the cause of the insomnia. I lay down in bed and my mind is just racing. I keep thinking of how incredibly transformative the last 3-4 years have been and how bright the future appears. Sometimes I can hardly believe my good fortune.

Maybe I need to take up triathlon training. That should wear me out sufficiently.

I'm thinking about building a website. It'd help me build my web skills for work, but would also let me host my own blog and build an online resource for all the things I'm interested in. For example, I'd have a whole section on food (surprise, surprise.) It might be fun to show how to milk a cow and then how to use raw milk and fresh cream to churn butter and make yogurt. I'd like to include facts and comparisons of raw, grass fed, local milk to that filthy white sugar water most people buy at chain supermarkets, and dispel myths about peoples' fear of raw milk. I'd like to list resources for American made clothing and reasons to buy American. I'd like to post maps and photos and even have a discussion board where people could (if anyone were so inclined) have a dialogue with me or with each other about things they find interesting. I'd also love to showcase all the things I love about Boulder, including my favorite local businesses.

For example, if you're ever in Boulder you need to check out Clutter. It's an upscale second hand/consignment shop downtown. It can be hit or miss, which is expected considering the nature of the business, but they frequently have pretty unique, quality things. Check out this video and pictures. I'm not a big consumer of stuff, but when I do want a new serving bowl or picture frame it's cool to get one that was made with pride and quality in the days before everything rolled off an assembly line in China. I love supporting local businesses. The owner is really great and so are her employees. We walk by there all the time and sometimes we just drop in to say hi.

Then there's Spruce Confections, the bakery on Pearl St. They make one of the tastiest cookies ever: the Old B. And you have to have dinner and drinks at The Kitchen which serves a lot of local foods, converts their cooking oil to biodiesel and powers their restaurant with wind. Then there's the Hotel Boulderado, the oldest and most posh hotel in town which also has incredible food. If you're in the market to buy or just rent a bike for a day, hands down it's University Cycles. Need something to wear? Check out Weekends. The owner is a super awesome guy. For the best cup of coffee anywhere, go to The Cup. Wanna know where the locals go for an awesome local brew and a good burger? Try Mountain Sun. They even brew their own fantastic root beer. Need hardware or appliances or anything you might generally find at Wal-Mart? Sorry, but we're fortunate enough not to have a Wal-Mart in this town. But we do have a healthy alternative: McGuckin Hardware! And unlike Wal-Mart's false advertisements, McGuckin really does carry American made goods as often as possible, and you'll NEVER find better or more attentive service. NEVER.

Then of course there are the events and entertainment such as the farmer's market, the Boulder Creek Festival, the Hometown Fair, the coolness that is Chautauqua, the Boulder Theater, E-Town, Banjo Billy's Bus Tours, the annual naked pumpkin run, the Happy Thursday Cruiser Ride, First Bite Boulder and much more.

Don't forget about the outdoor recreation for which Boulder is famous. This includes the Flatirons, Mt. Sanitas, and the other 43,000 (yes, forty three thousand) acres of Boulder city parks and open space land on which you can hike, bike, swim, rock climb, snowshoe, sled, kayak, fly fish or pet prairie dogs. (By the way, this doesn't even include the additional 100,000 acres of open space that Boulder County maintains just outside of the city!) Boulder also has a whopping 350 miles of bicycle lanes and paths and is one of the most bike friendly communities in the US. We're a platinum level bike community and have 74 underpasses for bikes and pedestrians to cross roadways without dealing with cars.

Boulder was the second US city ever to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and the first US city where voters approved a ban on discrimination based on sexual orientation. We were also the first Colorado city to enact a smoking ban which included bars.

Not surprisingly Boulder is also one of the greenest cities, with one of the first "eco communities," an extensive recycling program, a budding smart grid, and a whole lot of scientists, educators and other educated liberal types.


We've got trout living in our whitewater creek that runs through town, and black bear, red fox, mountain lion, moose, mule deer, coyote, bald eagles, prairie dogs and elk are common sights.

We have no ghettos or "bad" parts of town, unless you count the area where the frats are concentrated, and it's one of the cleanest, safest cities I've ever even heard of.

I ask you, what's not to love?

So what should I call my website?

No comments: