Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Thought Train Just Keeps Rolling


I can't tell you how much I hate office meetings, work retreats and strategic planning. Corporate tripe. Maybe it has its place but I have no place among it.

I just got a really big raise and a promotion, which is nice. And for the most part I like my work, and of course the benefits are really good and the people I work with are pleasant. It isn't really a high pressure job. But I have a problem fitting in sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just becoming and old stick in the mud. I don't really have a desire to chase technology or get swept up in some kind of corporate-esque "team player" mentality. I want a simple life. I want a genuine, deliberate life built in things that are real, with real friends (as opposed to virtual ones). This Facebook thing is just the latest way, in my opinion, for people to become further disconnected from reality and from each other. It isn't meaningful to know that a person I knew fifteen years ago just got finished cleaning the litter box. It is meaningful to sit down with my neighbor and have a beer and talk about the week. It isn't meaningful to spend a day "strategizing" about being "thought leaders on the global stage." It is meaningful to chop a chord of fire wood to keep me warm through the winter.

No comments: